One day car insurance is a specialty coverage that can give you the protection you need for anywhere from 1 to 28 days. Short term car insurance is far more affordable and flexible than buying a brand-new policy or calling your current insurer to amend your existing one. In fact, over the years, 1 or 2 day car insurance has grown in popularity significantly for new drivers due to its low costs and versatility.
By understanding the benefits of cheap one day insurance, you can make better decisions for your own auto insurance needs. Learn everything you need to know about one day auto insurance and how to find cheap rates for 1 or 2 days of coverage.
What Is One Day Car Insurance?
To put it simply, one day car insurance is fully comprehensive coverage that applies to your car for a short period of time. It is called one day insurance because you can keep it for as little as 24 hours, but when necessary, you can also purchase it for a term of up to 28 days. This means you can insure yourself for 1, 2, or a few days by renewing the same policy for temporary coverage.
Short term car insurance is cheaper than a traditional policy, and is perfect for drivers who find themselves in more unusual situations. The benefits of day insurance for your car are many, but the main ones include:
- immediate coverage from the moment you buy, borrow, or rent a car;
- the ability to drive without stress thanks to the knowledge that you are covered in the event of an accident;
- flexible one day car insurance policies you can customize to your needs, including not only the length of the coverage, but also the details and the amounts;
- the ability to schedule your coverage to start up to 30 days in advance; and
- access to special coverage for things like misfueling, dings, scratches, and even damage to alloy wheels.
Who Needs Car Insurance For A Day?
There are numerous situations in which you may find yourself in need of daily or weekly car insurance. Though it is more flexible and affordable for some drivers, this is not the case for everyone. Typically, one day auto insurance is not ideal for those who must maintain long-term coverage on their cars.
In this case, it can actually become more expensive than a classic auto policy. If you want to know whether one day insurance is right for you, ask yourself if any of the following apply to your situation:
- Are you a young driver who does not own a car? In this case, if you do not own a car but you regularly drive others’ cars while on holidays or breaks, one day car insurance is an excellent solution. This way, friends and relatives do not have to pay year-round to keep you on their policies while you are not able to drive their cars, and you can ensure the proper coverage for yourself when you do drive.
- Do you have a classic car or sports car you don’t drive often? Keeping full-coverage insurance on a car that spends most of its time in your garage can become quite expensive, and this is another situation in which a one-day car insurance policy can benefit you. If you want to take your car out for a spin, just add coverage for as long as you need it.
- Are you still learning to drive? If you have a learner’s permit but you do not drive frequently, one day car insurance could be an excellent choice for you. It covers you only for the times you are out on the road, providing you (and your parents) with unsurpassed peace of mind.
- Are you moving or dealing with an emergency? There are all kinds of other situations in which short term car insurance could benefit you. For example, if you don’t typically drive a car but you are moving, which means that you need to relocate it, this sort of coverage would be perfect for you. It is also a fantastic choice for anyone dealing with an emergency requiring them to drive a car that is driven very infrequently otherwise.
How Does Same Day Car Insurance Work?
In order to obtain one day car insurance, you will need to provide the carrier with some information. Much like when you purchase regular insurance, your driving history, the value of the car you want to insure, and other factors will come into play when the carrier makes its decision.
When you contact a company to inquire about short term car insurance for any reason, you should be prepared to provide all of the following:
- Your personal details, which may include your name, Social Security number, address, birth date, telephone number, etc.
- Your driver’s license number so that the insurer can verify your ability to drive legally,
- Information about the car you will be driving, such as the make, model, year, features, and VIN, which are required to determine the best coverage amounts and prices.
- The dates you need coverage, which can be customized to your unique needs.
Cost of Short Term Car Insurance
There are a few different factors that will ultimately determine the cost of short term car insurance, much like when you purchase a regular insurance policy. It is always wise to do some comparison shopping since different companies will offer you different rates for the same coverage. How much your one day insurance will cost is calculated by your risk to the company and your ability to compare quotes to negotiate.
Other factors that will affect short term car insurance costs include the car you are insuring, your personal insurance history, how long you plan to keep the short-term coverage, and how you will be using the car you are insuring.
Enter your zip code and compare car insurance quotes from the best companies to find affordable rates for the type of coverage you want!